Saturday, September 11, 2010

Can you wear this for me?

Serena Williams after beating Dinara Safina on...Image via Wikipedia
Everyone has an attribute they would like to change concerning their appearance. When I was a little girl, I hated my nose. I mean hated it. I thought it was too wide for my face. Until one day I sat at my grandmothers feet, she had just finished braiding my hair. "Get up and turn around and let me have a look see." Dutifully turning toward her, she smiled at the work she had done "You have a pretty face, but why wouldn't you when you got the best thing from me?" She tapped me on the nose before calling my sister to come get her hair done.
I had not recognized it before but I had inherited my nose from her and my grandmother who was beautiful. Not just on the outside but she was smart, sassy and always quick to laugh. From that day on I loved my nose, especially when everything else started to grow with it.
My nose is now not the biggest part on my body. You would think I would be happy right? Nope. As a teenager I wanted a bigger booty. Not a Serena Williams booty, hell not even a Jennifer Lopez booty, I can carry my drinks in my hands just fine. No I just wanted a slightly bigger one.
Yep, bigger with wider hips. My mom had this hour glass shape, hips and butt that somehow got gifted to my sister but by passed me.
I remember buying jeans and asking my sister to wear them for me a couple of times. See she would stretch them and when I would wear them they would hang just right.
It wasn't until I was older, much older do I appreciate the shape that I have. I actually have a nice size rear, just wish I had those hips to rock it with..sigh.. oh well I still love me no full hips and all. It's funny the things you don't appreciate about yourself as a teenager. But I was grateful to my sister when we were teenagers not to pick at me too much when I would say Can you wear this for me?


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment